Thank you to everybody who came out to vote for us. We did well — a full sweep; all fourteen of us were elected as your delegates! This is truly a mandate, that our Democrats want true progressive action, and that "business as usual" politics that have failed the Democratic party have got to go. We are all looking forward to working together to represent our district.
We are pleased that this kind of groundswell has resulted in similar victories across the state!
On Saturday, January 7, 2017, Democrats gather to elect 7 women and 7 men from each assembly district in California as delegates to the state party. Those who are elected will have the chance to vote for a new state party chair. The race is hotly contested and will determine how welcoming, grassroots-focused and innovative the party becomes or how beholden it will remain to big money interests.
At the Election Meeting:
- Please cast your vote for all 14 Groundswell Progressive Slate candidates and Sean Dugar for executive board (2 different ballots)
- Come vote in person (and ideally bring friends and family members to do the same)
- Come early to pick up a ballot and cast your vote on the spot. No need to stay for the whole meeting, but staying later will allow you to vote for the important Executive Board position.
The Groundswell Progressives Slate is a group of dedicated, honest, and action-oriented people comprised of Bernie and Hillary supporters who understand we must move forward together to regain strength as a party. A strong, united California Democratic Party will lead the charge to protect our communities from the potentially disastrous effects of the Trump administration's policy positions, and provide a positive agenda to serve as a model for the national Democratic Party. The individuals on our slate are a reflection of our state, representing an array of religions, races, class and geographic backgrounds, sexual orientations, and ages. We are willing to challenge party establishment in order to stay true to our progressive values and to the people who elected us. We’ll never “fall in line” or be coerced to vote for unmerited candidates. We will always support those who embrace the most progressive values.
All Groundswell Progressive candidates are supporting Kimberly Ellis for State Party Chair, and we pledge to join and become active in the Progressive Caucus. We believe the party needs rebuilding from the ground up, and our inspired candidates, who will work together in power and push for authentic change, say the time for new blood, new direction, and fresh faces is now. Groundswell Progressives stand up for justice for women, people of color, Muslims, the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities, people struggling with housing, the economically disenfranchised, immigrants, and all marginalized people. We believe climate change, safe and affordable housing, immigration reform, and a living wage are not sideline issues, but should be front and center in state and national decision-making. It’s time to revive real democracy for all, not later, but now.
What does a state party delegate do, anyway?
- Elect party officers
- Endorse local, statewide, and congressional candidates and ballot measures. This has a great impact!
- Attend annual convention and, optionally, quarterly E-board meetings
- Network with other Democrats
- Promote the California Democratic Party agenda
- Vote to endorse resolutions and the state party platform
- Get involved with caucuses (e.g. Progressive, LGBT, Veteran's, African-American, etc.)